In this section, Exercises for Back we will explain everything that is fundamentalto be able to work properly, you can continue reading this article and move forward in your workouts or continue training as always and stop reading.
Muscles of the back
First of all we will see the superficial muscles of the back that are the most interesting when we are going to perform any back work.
- Fast fibers 46%
- Slow fibers: 54%
- Fast fibers: 40%
- Slow fibers: 60%
- Slow fibers: 45%
- Fast fibers: 55%
- Slow fibers: 70%
- Fast fibers: 30%
- Slow fibers: 50%
- Fast fibers: 50%
- Mainly slow fibers.
As you already know depending on the type of fiber, we can work the muscle better performing a quick action or a slower action.
How to extend the back?
To expand the back we will need to perform vertical traction exercises. In other words, all those exercises that go from top to bottom.
How do we get thickness and strength in the back?
The exercises that will give you that thickness, that depth and strength are the exercises of horizontal traction, that is, all those that go in front of you.
Types of back training
To exercise the back it must always be in complete straightness with a slight scapular retraction (the shoulders backwards), with rectitude and always tightening the muscles of the back
The back is worked through two ways:
- Pull or pull .
- Vertical traction.
- The best exercises of vertical traction: Dominated and pulls to the chest.
- The dominated and the milestones are basic and fundamental exercises that we have to put into routines. They are the best to improve the width of the back .
- The dominated will be more effective than the milestones and we would have to give it a higher priority. With the pull-ups we will achieve greater strength and hypertrophy in the back.
- They must be done from different grips : Neutral, supine and prone.
- Do not try to go up to the bar but try to lower the bar towards you, it is a very mental concept that will help you with this exercise.
- Try to load the weight on the little fingers, to avoid shoulder injuries.
- Horizontal traction :
- Basic exercises : One-handed rowing (of the best exercises, gaining greater strength and hypertrophy) and rowing 90.
- Secondary exercises: Jironda rowing, T-bar row and lever rowing.
- The exercises in horizontal traction affect the thickness of the back.
- Working exercises at one hand can be more intense and can progress faster as strength. (Theory of bilateral deficit, Example If we take 50 kilos in 1 hand, with two hands it will cost much more to catch 100 doing One-handed exercises are more effective.)
- The one-handed exercises:
- They create greater mechanical tensions.
- Increased metabolic stress
- These two factors allow for greater hypertrophy.
- We have to be very aware of our back position.
- We have to think that we have a pencil in the back and then tighten the scapulae backwards (shoulders backwards)
- We have to think about approaching the elbows as much as possible always trying to touch the sides of our body.
- With these tips we will avoid back problems and injuries.
- Extension of the spine or hip.
- Basic exercise: Deadlift, perform it first always.
- Specific exercises: Good morning, Hyperextension.
- Basic exercises performed first, specific to the middle or end of the session because basic exercises such as dead weight affect many more muscles than the specific ones.
- In each of the repetitions we hold in the final phase about 2 seconds to develop more muscles.
Grips for back exercises
- Prone grip
As soon as muscular activation gives the same one or the other grip there is very little difference between one or the other grip .
I would recommend a neutral grip because it allows you to perform exercises with greater intensity and avoid injuries.
- Grip width:
In pull-ups there is hardly any muscle activation between a wide grip and a less broad grip .
In other exercises such as rowing with a rod, rowing to a bar etc. if it favors the development of the width of the back if one works from 1 to 1.5 of the biacromial width.
The fact of closing the grip facilitates the 1mr working with greater intensity.
So working with a closed and neutral grip prevents injuries and works with greater intensity.